After a long day at the office, coming home to relax is top priority for most people. Eight-hour workdays leave ample time for stressful situations to occur. Shifting from being at a high-energy office environment to home can be a difficult transition. How do you calm down to sleep at night after all of that stress? Here are 6 simple suggestions for de-stressing after work:
· Pour yourself a glass of wine, relax on the couch, and enjoy your favorite Netflix show. Throwing all of your attention into something entertaining will help take your mind off of work related tasks.
· Read a book or magazine that takes you to a relaxing place. Many people prefer the quiet act of reading to distract their mind and unwind.. To help, choose a book or magazine based on topics that interest you, but nothing too heavy or work-related.
· Turn off all of your digital devices and have a conversation with someone you love. Staying plugged in all night does not allow you time to de-stress. It can become very tempting to check your email if your phone is still going off or you’re receiving tons of notifications. To avoid this, just switch everything off!
· Cook your favorite dish for dinner!. I don’t know about you, but food makes me happy. Not only that, but cooking can be very relaxing. Being able to enjoy a good meal after a long day will help satisfy your hunger and improve your mood
· Go for a run to blow off some steam! This one can take extra energy after a long day, but it is a great way to channel your energy into something beneficial for both your physical and mental wellbeing.
· Take up a new hobby. This gives you some personal time to explore interests outside of your career.
Ultimately, in order to perform your best at work, you need to have some good ways to unwind and make the most of your relaxation time. What do you do to decompress at the end of a busy day? Let us know in the comments!